Frequently asked questions?
Fitting Instructions, Handling & Storage - For Intumescent, fire & smoke seals
- Before fitting the door frame to the opening, rout all grooves to the inside of the frame and door. Repeat the same operation for the backs of the frames where applicable.
- Note: All grooves should be of suitable width and depth such that the seals do not stand proud of the groove.
- Make sure grooves are free from dust and grease. Noberne Seals Ltd does not recommend oil or solvent based paint or primers.
- Measure and cut all seals to length using a hacksaw. Remove self-adhesive backing and butt joint fit all seals to inside and outside of door frame or door, and meeting stiles of pairs of doors where applicable, fit in ambient temperatures of between +12°C and +27°C.
- Note: Pinning of seals is not recommended.
- Measure and recess for hinges and intumescent liner in frame and doors.
- Fit frame to opening making sure no damage occurs to the seals.
- Fit hinges and intumescent liners to frame and door and hang doors.
- For neoprene bladed seals a gap size of 3mm is required for a standard 4mm fin, and a +1mm tolerance is permissible. Because of the elasticity of the fin material it is possible to squeeze them into gaps of less than 3mm but damage could result in service due to extreme abrasion, particularly at the head of the door and on the jambs. Excessive opening and closing forces will also result.
- It is desirable that one fin on the product remains continuous at ironmongery points to ensure effective acoustic and smoke sealing performance.
- We recommend that, in line with good joinery practice, the edges of door leaves are given a leading edge and chamfered on both edges. Any rough edges will cause brush smoke seals to snag and neoprene seals to tear, we recommend that all edges are rubbed down with fine sandpaper prior to fitting and decoration.
Handling & Storage
- No special precautions are required when handling Noberne acoustic, smoke and fire seals, but they should always be treated with care and not bent or twisted. The products do not fall within the scope of COSHH regulations. Noberne intumescent seals should be stored flat in a clean, dry area away from heat or extreme cold.
Please note: Recommendations as to methods of use of materials and construction details are based on the experience and knowledge of Noberne Seals Ltd and are given in good faith as a general guide and service to designers, contractors and manufacturers.
- Please refer to our suppliers websites for further information on fitting, handling and storage.